environmental group directory

Nova Scotia's wetlands provide an estimated $7.9 billion worth of benefits
in ecosystem services to Nova Scotians annually.
Source: Nova Scotia Wetland Conservation Policy

home page
Protect Eisner Cove Wetland
Eisner Cove Wetland direct action
Bridgewater Watershed Alliance
gofundme legal-fees for Jacob Fillmore

Protecting wetlands is in our best interest

Protect Eisner Wetland

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia: At risk of development
Details, media coverage links:
Protect Eisner Wetland

Hartlen Point, Canada's Top 10 birding destination is At-Risk.

Protect Hartlen Point

Hartlen Point is at the South East mouth of Halifax Harbour
It is 15 minutes from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia and is one of the Top 10 birding sites in Canada. A thriving, pristine Marine Ecosystem is home to a beach; dunes and wetland. Nearshore waters off the Point are among the most lucrative lobster fishing areas in the world.

The Canadian Department of National Defence wants to use Hartlen Point for their newest weapons testing site. The Department admits nearshore access would be lost due to dangerous radio frequency emissions hazardous to human and animal health.

The Canadian Department of National Defence has not responded to community concerns.

Details, links to Petition; Social Media Accounts; Beautiful Calendars; Hiking; Gofundme; Media reports; Documents: Protect Hartlen Point Linktree

Yellow legs bird at Hartlen Point

This print of a Yellow Legs, Le Grand Chevalier is available for purchase. All funds raised by the Hartlen Point Project are used for outreach materials/activities in the #ProtectHartlenPoint Campaign.
Visit Maya Bélanger Photography to purchase a print or 2023 calendar. The price of your purchase includes a donation to the Protect Hartlen Point movement.

Protect Bridgewater Watershed

Bridgewater, Nova Scotia: At risk of logging
Details: Bridgewater Watershed Protection Alliance

Wetlands are Carbon Storage Rockstars!
Source: Protect Eisner Wetland website
8 page brochure:Wetlands + Carbon. The Facts. The Story

Wetlands are also called peatlands, fens, swamps or bogs. They come in various shapes and sizes, and are absolutely critical for preventing and mitigating the effects of climate change, preserving biodiversity, minimizing flood risk, easing urban heat stress and ensuring safe drinking water.

Peatlands are one of the most valuable terrestrial ecosystems in our fight against climate change. These unique ecosystems cover just 3% of the earth's land mass yet they are second only to oceans in the amount of carbon they store. They hold twice the carbon that is held by the worlds' forests, at an estimated five hundred to six hundred gigatonnes! In Canada, one square metre of peatland can contain up to five times as much carbon as the same area of Amazon rainforest.

  • Peatlands are the world's largest natural carbon storehouse. The world's wetlands hold twice the carbon that the world's forests hold.
  • Peat is formed when dead plants decompose slowly in waterlogged conditions. The partially decomposed plants pile up and become compacted, forming peat.
  • The carbon that the plants absorbed from the atmosphere when they were alive is stored within peat soils. This helps to cool the earth and the air, which in turn helps to reduce climate warming.
  • Healthy wetlands depend upon the surrounding forests and undergrowth to develop and become a carbon storehouse.
  • Damage to wetland landscapes releases huge quantities of carbon in the form of greenhouse gasses.
  • If wetlands in, for example, Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) are destroyed, the released greenhouse gases will be added to all the other emissions in the city. HRM has to reduce emissions to meet its carbon targets. Adding even more carbon is not helpful in the least.
  • Finding solutions to take greenhouse gasses out of the atmosphere and lock them in the ground will be expensive. Wetlands and their ecosystems provide this service free of charge. That's a win-win situation.
  • About 6% of Canada's carbon is stored in vegetation (trees, shrubs, grasses, dead leaves and roots). The remaining 94% is found in the top one metre of soil, with 32% of this carbon found in peatlands!
  • Wetlands and their surrounding forests and undergrowth are significant allies in the global efforts to combat climate change. Their protection and restoration are vital in the transition to a global zero-carbon society.

Wetlands Links